Sunday, September 11, 2011

Yes, this is a 9/11 post...

I haven't posted in awhile... there's been a bunch of stuff (some crap, some good, all busy). But, in any case, I feel I have to comment on today.



I may have never been to New York (or the US, for that matter), but my life was altered because of 9/11. Not that the effects were anything like the people who experienced/lost loved ones. But I think everyone (at least in North America) have changed. For me, it took a little bit of effort to fly again - I still leave a note for my family "just in case" if I'm flying for any flight over 2 hours... I doubt they know I do that. Security is so much more heightened. Not to mention seeing all the propaganda (and blatant prejudice) against so many different people. I am by no means stating an opinion on the wars that have ensued, but just stating the gov't(s) stances that took place. Look at the list of songs that were "banned" immediately after the attacks... not to mention what happened to Dixie Chicks and other bands that spoke out before it was 'acceptable.' Was this bad? I don't think it was right; however, I bet that it has happened in every major historical event - history is written by the winners, right?

I remember exactly where I was when I heard. It was a Tuesday morning, second week of university. I had waken up just before my alarm (which was my radio), so I was awake for the radio personalities talking about this breaking story about a plane/bomb in the WTC in New York. I went downstairs and turned on CNN seconds before the second tower was hit... and woke my mom up to tell her.

Got to university, and my first class was Canadian History with Dave Debroux(?). He quietly walked in with a television set, said quietly, "It doesn't matter what I was going to talk about. This is history in the making - our lives will never be the same." He turned on the TV and we watched as the towers collapsed. My prof never saw the full effects of the attack - he died in May 2004 - yet his prediction was right. I only had one other class that day, a music class, and we ran it like nothing happened. We all didn't have cells, so as soon as class was over, we went to either TVs in Place Riel or computers in the ed library. I remember watching coverage most of the day in disbelief - this was worse than the apocalyptic movies where everybody kills everybody. I've read a few articles and human interest pieces about the tragedies, and have followed the health crisis in the following years.

I know of people who had problems travelling... if plans had gone the way they were supposed to, I should've been flying to work in London, England that week.

To think that's been a decade. I mean, I'm glad I'm not that uni student anymore (I hated that first semester so much I nearly quit and never went back several times). But since then, I've earned 2 degrees, worked in 5 retail jobs, 3 school divisions, lived in 4 different towns, travelled to 4 countries on 3 continents, lost my last two grandparents, saw many friends and family marry and start different chapters in their lives. Yet it doesn't seem that long.

My thoughts and prayers for anyone who have lost people either in the attacks, after the attacks, in Iraq or Afghanistan, or were in anyway affected. 

No comments:

Post a Comment