Tuesday, August 23, 2011

I have a few different posts that I'm thinking about, but this one I need to do today now that I'm back with full internet. Like so many Canadians, I was quite sad to hear about Jack Layton's death.
While I didn't grow up with overly political parents, we did discuss it a lot as I entered high school and university. I've had a healthy understanding of the events and party policies, but would not be the one to really start the political conversation with others. I know I don't share the same view as some of my overly opinionated relatives and have learned to not even mention it.
Jack Layton did get more people interested (or remotely engaged) in politics. His personality and passion were huge parts of that engagement. But he really appeared to be interested in fairness and equality. What I've been most impressed with is his push for advocacy. As someone who pushes younger people to make opinions and take a stand through Girl Guides, it was interesting to see him accomplish it, especially during the election.
He celebrated with the Girl Guides in 2010 when we had a huge celebration on Parliament Hill. Our PM couldn't show - didn't even have many Conservatives there - but Jack Layton showed up. Judging from the people I know that attended, he spoke with all the younger girls there and was patient and genuinely happy to be there. Support a cause I would say I'm passionate about, and you've piqued my interest more.
As a musician (even an artist in general), his absence concerns me. As a teacher with the talks about "mirroring" the states, his absence frightens me. I hope there will be a presence soon in Parliament that can encourage discussion rather than yelling and pushing through everything.

Thank you Jack, for all the influence and inspiration you've shown me, not even solely in a political sense. As a supporter, I will mourn your absence in national politics. Rest in peace, and may your family and friends find the strength and support to continue.

Other posts will come another time. Here's to the orange.


sthursby.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment