Thursday, April 12, 2012

Again, I HATE this...

Why do I have to realize what I take for granted until something for someone else happens? My parents' neighbours lost their house this morning. The one silver lining is my parents were pretty instrumental in making sure everyone was alive.

Mom said she was on her way to work, opened up the garage door and saw flames on a neighbour's garage. She called 911 from her cell, and got Dad out. He ran over, when the owner of the house was running out. They moved out the vehicles and the neighbours in between (there is a house between my parents' and the fire) moved their vehicles as well. Mom was trying to console the wife before the volunteer department arrived. Dad stuck around (Mom headed to work late) to help do what he could before he left for work.
I met Mom for lunch, and then I headed into Osler. The house is completely gone. What's left is the stairs to the front porch and the front door. It's a very eerie look, and the feeling looking at it is horrible. I don't know the family all that well (I've only really lived here a short amount of what my parents' had, and a lot of it is mainly sleeping), but still very friendly. Dad taught the guy woods at Bedford in the late 70's/early 80's (and he became a contractor!), so they've been a bit closer. They have a beautiful little girl, and he has grown children from his first marriage (although the boys lived here for a bit when we first moved).
There are so many material things that I know I wouldn't miss, but there are a few things I wouldn't want destroyed. Some photos, my grandparents' old camera, cousin's clarinet, my computer. They walked out of that house this morning at 7am with the clothes on their back and shoes on their feet. Very little is left. But they are uninjured, and can rebuild.
This community has been supportive of each other in the past. I know one set of neighbours is watching them right now (their kids are the same age), but it will be interesting to see what kind of real support they get.

I guess that parents aren't always doing things to embarrass their children after all ;)

I had a rambling, nonsense post, but I'll save that draft for another day. Really put more emphasis on the real priorities in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment