Sunday, September 23, 2012

Man, where did September go?

I don't know, but it seems like an eternity since the summer. Crazy how things go back into a routine so quickly!
School has been a whirlwind right now, and doesn't look like slowing down anytime soon.
I'm teaching 2 English classes at my home school (where I've been for two year), and band at a new elementary school. I love the band stuff - the squeaks and squawking are music to my ears! My most exciting day by far was Tues, when the new band kids had their first playing class. I want that excitement and enthusiasm to carry through the whole year! I don't feel like I belong at that school though. I have only talked to the senior years teachers. I'm only there 2 mornings a week, so it's really hard, but it feels like I'm floating on my own, just barely connected to the school environment. Here's hoping that changes as we all settle in.

Not like my other school is easy right now either. I have 39 students in my grade 9 English class!!!!! 39 (32 in my Grade 10)? I had students sitting on the floor for two weeks while caretaking and admin tried to find them desks. Our school division asks that the schools be basically staffed for 1 teacher: 28 students (don't quote me on that). But for some reason, there are teachers in our building that have all of their classes over 35... some math (grade 12/last year) classes over 40. So, not only am I facing a different curriculum I'm not familiar with, with paper marking I have never had to do (in guitar, I listened to 85% of my assessments, photo it was critiquing side by side with the kids, LT was hands-on projects) and just the general classroom management stuff that doesn't happen as much in the elective courses. It's been a struggle, and I'm exhausted. But I have support - I've been talking with admin constantly, getting help and tips from fellow ELA teachers, and vent sessions with my other friends after school :) It also helps I finally got a desk to use. I know that sounds silly, but it's a good feeling to have a spot to dump stuff and have a pic or two to make me smile after a long day.

Part of it may also be that I don't get a designated prep 2 days of the week. Being a partial contract, the only way it would work was if I taught non-stop on Tuesdays and Fridays. (In Saskatoon, the teachers are entitled to 300 minutes of prep time every school week if you're full time. High school teachers get an hour a day, elementary it may be spread out over a few smaller chunks or a large chunk one day). For someone who is exhausted, I'm done by the end of the day. I'm hoping that I won't have a lot of extra-curricular stuff (basketball) on some of those days. I may argue for no-practice Fridays just for my sanity's sake!

But, I still don't think I would find another profession I could love. Maybe photographer, maybe... but I do enjoy being with students and seeing their learning and success - even if they don't!

Just wish that marking would do itself... there's only so much Of Mice and Men questions I can look at in one sitting...

No comments:

Post a Comment