Saturday, October 27, 2012

A Teacher is NOT just a teacher...

I always have every intention of blogging regularly... and it's been a month. Yikes. I mean, I have a lot of drafts saved, but I don't always finish them, or change my mind about posting. But this is more of a realization/confirmation for me. Teachers are NOT just teachers - different levels and areas do mean a different type of teaching!
 Since my last post, I've had another contract added to the pile, and I've survived the first week! As of this week, I teach 1-8 Arts Ed (mainly music, drama and dance), 6-8 Band, and 9-10 English. Every morning I'm in elementary; every afternoon I'm in secondary. Technically, this should be the easiest assignment in the world for me: I was trained in Band/ELA secondary (Band is automatically middle years through elementary) and my first contract was half time K-5 Arts Ed (mainly music and drama).

That is so wrong! First off, I forget the mental switch between levels. Although my grade 10 class IS immature, I can't talk to them or teach them the same as the grade 1/2 class. The interactions with students are completely different; with my older (usually 10-12) it's about connecting to the outside world and having indepth conversations with them. Teaching 5/6? Not so much - it's all about self-control (mine not throwing things! Them - learning to control impulses)

Then there is teaching English. Most of my experience teaching high school has been hands-on: think Guitar and Photography (and even Life Trans, really). They weren't a paper-based curriculum. My marking was instant; I was listening to the song in class, or we marked the photo together on the screen. In English, if I want to see indepth understanding from each student, I have to collect it - whether it be an essay, chapter questions, or some sort of assignment. So my ideas about formative assessment have been changing evolving. I understand why this is more of a division focus; it would be very difficult to start working through that philosophy if all you've ever done is look at understanding at marking the test.

And, although I knew this before, every school has a different environment, and my schools are so different! My elementary school is in a very middle-class neighbourhood, where most students have very similar home and life experiences. My high school is where 45% of students are FNIM or first Canadians, from the core neighbourhoods OR the new development nearby, and range from happy family to homeless to group home to unknown living situations. Parents are overly involved in one school - the other I can't get a phone call returned. Is one good or bad? Absolutely not! I love both for different reasons. BUT the way I interact with them (and the staff) can be very different: different values, different priorities.

I think I'm going to enjoy this journey... like everything, the beginning is hard (especially when the curricula have changed since you taught/learned it last), but I have amazing supports at both schools. If my health can cooperate, this full time craziness will make me a better teacher (and I know I have some more breathing room in term 2, maybe)

No comments:

Post a Comment