Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Day 3... halfway done!

So, the "real" stuff begins... we've finished on our self-development, and started on WAGGGS diversity and advocacy. My realization of the day is that although I've been trained several times on advocacy (heck, I even train it!!!) I really don't know a lot about it. I know theory of something that isn't designed to be in a vaccuum... advocacy and community leadership have so much overlap but still are interconnected.

This will be short... I'm tired :) It's been warm (okay, freaking hot, but based on what I saw on SK weather, I'm shutting up), and it's draining.

Yoga in the morning has been AWESOME! Seriously, doing yoga in the morning in India, with an Indian instructor... what better way could there be to learn it? Of course, in a 5 day span (that's when she comes) I'm not going to "learn" much, but it's been fun. There's only about 6 of us taking advantage of it, which is even better!

I guess I haven't said the statistics yet. There are 35 participants from 30 countries... and every region is represented. I'm sharing a dorm with ladies from: Maldives, Slovenia, Guyana, DRC (Congo), Uganda and Ireland. It's been great - and I'm relearning French (most here are only English speaking, and a few that are only French speaking, with group activities and not a lot of interpreters (that's another post - I feel like I'm at the UN sometimes!). There are a few WAGGGS board members and planning members here, plus the staff/volunteers (one actually finished and left today!).

Okay, yoga is in 8 hours... maybe sleep? Tomorrow will be a huge day - we're going on a field experience to the slums. Not like the slums in cities in North America - here, that's where the middle class would live. Like, illegal tents pitched in random lots and housing over a thousand people. I'm trying to prepare to be overwhelmed... which, by definition, is probably impossible. I'll try to explain later!

G'night (we have a few aussies too!)

1 comment:

  1. 35 reps from 30 countries?! How cool!!! It sounds like such an amazing experience!!

    ReplyDelete