Saturday, March 19, 2011

Mom - I made it :D


So, after two long flights with a short beginner one, losing a day and teaching the day before, I MADE IT :)

Sangam, so far, is indescribable. India is such a different country than Canada - my friend was right when she told me to expect to see/hear/smell NOTHING familiar. Mandy and I arrived at 5am to Sangam (with a volunteer picking us up - complete with a sign welcoming us!). We crashed until breakfast (which was an omelet and toast with cereals... nice and safe lol). The best way to describe Sangam is kinda like a resort - it's in a slum, but the grounds are beautiful and well kept.

One of the ladies in my dorm (7 people to a dorm) used to be a volunteer here, so 10 of us spent the morning in Pune at the market. This is when my camera BIT THE DUST. Yup, won't open, won't turn on, batteries are charged (took pictures yesterday). So, being the photo geek I am - sorry Dad - I bought another camera. In all honesty, it was a great deal, at less than half what I would pay at home, and it works well so far. Just didn't think my main souvenir would be another digital camera. I think I may be able to tinker with the old one, but it really wasn't working. Some gorgeous fabrics, bangles, etc... lots of pictures (including the rickshaw ride!). It was also sweet when 2 schoolgirls came up to us because they realized we were Girl Guides (they were too).

Just finished lunch - very mild vegetable curry, flatbread, rice and a lentil sauce. Dessert was fresh watermelon :) Delicious as it's just in season and local (their mango jam is pretty fabulous, made with Sangam mangos). Going to cool down in the pool right away (it's above 30 - humid but not crazy humid). I would post pictures, but there are others here who want to email home to say they made it. Then it's orientation and the Holi celebration after supper (I get to throw paint at people!! Yes, there will be pics of that).

I probably won't post until at least tomorrow - maybe later.

Al

No comments:

Post a Comment