Wednesday, June 22, 2011

One day more...

Okay, one final more, but had to throw in a Les Mis reference. Tomorrow is the last period final, then grad, then days of cleaning/planning. Then SUMMER!
Some of the students have really pulled their weight and pulled a credit. I've said this before - it takes more work to FAIL photo than it takes to shoot enough to pass. Don't get me wrong, I was lucky to work with amazing photographers in all grades this semester, but the stress comes from the few that figure I should give them a pass because they graced me with their presence most days.
I had grade 12's today, and this was their last final. Ever (well high school anyways). It was interesting to see their reactions. Of course, I gave them the hardest assignment in the world - breakfast potluck and a portfolio eval. Yup, I am such a witch. Their reactions reminded me of grade 12... but for Murray, it was more about yearbook signing. I have pics from that day (with lots of short hair after grad lol), and I have fun reading the comments from friends. The realization that you won't see these people everyday was scary and overwhelming.
But do high school students really need to "worry" about that? I'm not being cynical. Today there's Facebook (which I use to keep in contact with lost acquaintances), Twitter (which I use too, just for the heck of it), plus blogging, Flickr, Tumblr and any other social media thing I'm forgetting. Really, if you have all your graduating class on your account, do you miss them?
When I started facebook, that is what I did... found as many people as possible. But I quickly realized we are at different spots in life... or that if we didn't really talk in high school, why would we on Facebook? Don't get me wrong. I have made friends with high school people out of high school, but I have also removed a lot of people from my page too. Maybe that's why my class isn't planning a 10 year reunion (that, or I'm not invited). Really, the people I want to keep in touch with I talk to, and hear about others.
Does FB/internet replace real live people talk? Absolutely not. But still, the occasional contact is all most are looking for.

Okay, really should sleep... I'm sure falling asleep while delivering a final isn't all that professional...

No comments:

Post a Comment