Sunday, August 7, 2011

And, the descent begins...

So, back to school is starting to creep into my mind... both through commercials and uh, it being August. Yay for me - I know where I'm going :) and I've been busy throughout the last two weeks, and have a few things lined up before I'm "back at it."
Fringe was this week. I am so glad I randomly decided to volunteer there last year... it is a blast! I get to see some plays, be with like-minded volunteers and talk with crazy-talented fringe performers. There were a few amazing plays this year, and talked a little with the performers of some of them. One was a song cycle called "Twenty-Five" (songs are connected but not overly related like a musical is), and all the people singing are just finishing their music degrees. We chatted about different requirements (thank goodness their piano wasn't portable... they were asking me to play my lefty stuff...), and a few actors once they found out I'm a teacher, had some great conversations! One man (jem rolls) talked about his experience in England schools to make sure that I wasn't like one of "those bloody imbeciles". Another (his play, Big Shot was probably the best of Fringe in my books), talked about how he related to his teachers, and was pumped that I do music and photo (and we have dance... and musicals).
Also saw a ton of students there - most of them went out of their way to say hi ;) I was wearing a strapless sundress on one of the days... I was frequently reminded that I was violating the dress code (bare shoulders). Easy reply: tell the VP when school's back in if I wear it on school grounds lol. I was also lucky enough to run into a guy I went to high school with during his brief trip back home from Korea, and although we only spoke shortly, it was good to see! (The assistant producer is also a high school friend) I just loved that environment. Maybe it's Broadway and my connection there, or the acceptance in the fringe, even with basically complete strangers.

WICKED is this week!!! Mom and I are going to a matinee performance. Super excited - haven't seen a musical since London with Les Mis (sorry, not counting TD's Little Shop...). Now, I realize these are completely different musicals, but nonetheless, it's a professional production. If I wasn't such a nervous performer, I would've loved to pursued that as a career.

And then it's the week of weddings - my cousin is getting married on Saturday here (to yet another WMCI grad - we're the best lol). Should be fun, and huge! Get to see some family that don't live here anymore, so that's a definite plus. Then, the next Thursday, it's a drive to BC so I can shoot another cousin's wedding, then drive home Sun/Mon... to be at school (shudder) on Thursday.

And, in there, I still have to finish my parents' deck/fence painting, do some January conference planning, and finish my prep for school! And of course a few unofficial staff gatherings better be in the works :)

Well, I can't say I'll be bored until school starts (or I give you permission to hit me...)

No comments:

Post a Comment