Monday, August 15, 2011

Weird combinations of events...

First off, went to a huge wedding on the weekend. My cousin married a great woman (who happened to go to WM too - woohoo) and she really has been family since she started dating him. It's funny that she still calls Dad "Mr. Peters" instinctively - even in the receiving line! ;) My grandmother said after the first time she met her that my cousin better marry her, or she would disown him... so I'm sure Grandma was watching over the nuptials! It was a gorgeous day, and everything went beautifully.
But it was a very traditional Ukranian wedding. Very Ukranian - and huge! 400+ people at the reception. Her parents help Ukranian immigrants when they arrive, and it showed in the wedding. They were married in a Ukranian Catholic wedding, and tons of traditions (and dancers) at the reception. Even what we thought was a gift opening on Sunday was a continuation of reception - you had to shoot some vodka to get in.



Another cousin gets married this weekend. We're driving out on Thursday for it. I'm shooting the wedding, and the expectations of me are growing (I'll just leave it at that). I wish my sister was coming as well - just because I need an assistant :) This will be an entirely different wedding - smaller scale, not Ukranian, and the couple already have children.

It's interesting what people consider their wedding to be, and how different it can be. My parents got married on a Friday (Dad only took the afternoon off lol), I've had friends married with a full mass and traditional, to family that have had small weddings with call invites... even a marriage in a coffee shop.

....

Today was an odd day. I started off with a migraine. Hate when that happens... but it subsided enough to actually do some stuff in the afternoon. After my usual trip for my weight stuff, I picked up my photos from the Ex. The judges were generous in my marks - not enough to 'win' anything, but still I'm quite happy with the marks.
When I got out back to my car, there were about 40 WASPS buzzing around it.... it took me nearly an hour to get into my car. (Background: I was stung by a wasp when I was 5 - it went into my cardigan and stung me up my arms, across my back, and on my fingers on its way out. Needless to say, I have a phobia about bees and wasps. I don't run away and scream - anymore - but I am tense and nervous around them). Of course, when I tried to get into my car the first time, 3 wasps came in with me. This is probably the only time I will wish my car was massive! I got out quickly, and spent a lot of time working up the courage to get them out of the out of the freaking car. I am actually proud of myself for getting them out and getting back into the car without making someone else do it (or call my dad to drive in to deal with them). Seriously, it crossed my mind.

After that fiasco (and my adrenaline at near normal levels), I went to find school clothes. Most of mine from last year no longer fit, and I am cheap. I don't want to pay full price for clothes right now (or ever, but if I'm only wearing them for a few months, even more so). With the drop of sizes (depending on how you look at it, I think I'm down 6-7 sizes since Christmas) I can now fit into most clothes at vintage shops. Which means Value Village!!! I have always loved thrift stores for other stuff, and did like them for accessories in high school (couldn't fit into the clothes then). I came out with 4 shirts, 2 pants and under $30!! One shirt is too small, but it's a 'goal' shirt... you'll know I'm celebrating when Kermit the Frog shows up :)

****
Have to head to the school tomorrow. I have to finish some camera inventory for the school and hopefully finish some photocopying. I know I'll have time when we go back next week (NEXT WEEK!? SERIOUSLY?! okay, freak out over), but I don't want to scramble or rush. I also find it cool that I have access to the school before it actually starts! (Yes, I know that feeling will be shortlived, but I'll enjoy it this year.)

Enough rambling. I have pics from the wedding to retouch (and special effect up!)  If you made it this far, thank you... you have a lot of patience for semi-insanity :)

2 comments:

  1. Oh!! Love the look of your blog!!! I normally view it through the RSS feed, so I had no idea! :D Lovely!!

    I think having to shoot a shot of Vodka to get in is too funny! lol I've never done a shot; it would have been interesting!

    I like the idea of having a wedding in a coffee shop! If I ever get married again, I need to crank up the creative factor! :D

    Down 6-7 sizes??!? Is that even possible in that time period?! Well go you!! I'm down nearly 80lbs but only 4-5 sizes. You rock!!! Congrats!!!

    Value Village has been my go to store of late, too!

    I'm glad life is treating you well! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks :)

    The shot isn't too bad - you just chug and wait for the burn. Actually, it wouldn't be bad with vodka. It was just the wedding, I guess! And the wedding in a coffee shop wasn't a great success... they happened to see a JP and did it (and divorced 6 months later).

    And my sizes -it's just about where I carry my weight. I lost an inch and could get into smaller sizes on the top already. It's slowing down but still heading in the right direction! I love the pics you've posted - congrats to you too! We need to see each other sometime to see in person :)

    Take care! Thanks for reading :)

    ReplyDelete