Thursday, July 19, 2012

Dublin, (Belfast), and it's over...

Wow, the trip is over. I have loved every minute of it.

Arrived in Dublin on Sunday, and easily found my hostel. It is right on the river, and used to be a recording studio for people like Sinead OConnor and others. It was a small hostel but had an amazing atmosphere. It's decorated with musician stuff and live bands perform regularly. That night, a band from Denmark performed. Very cool sounding harmonies in a folk band. Check out Songs for Iris on YouTube!



The next day was the Giants Causeway, cerrick-a-rede bridge and Belfast tour. Left at 6:30 am (I haven't gotten up that early since I went to part time!!) it was a long trip but able to rest on the bus.

We went to the bridge first. It's an attraction where you can walk across a rope bridge similar (more safe) to the one the fishermen would use to get to the ships. It's 30 meters above rocks and water, and bounces and swings!! Why on earth did I cross it? Easy - it was a huge hike to get to the bridge and I was going to brave it up and go across. Agh, I kinda forgot I would have to cross *back. But I survived, my heart pounding :)

Giants Causeway was a cool site too. Lots and lots of people. Hope some of the HDR shots turned out.
Really only spent an hour in Belfast. Didn't really see much other than the shops and their city hall because I didn't want to miss the bus back!

Then had a wonderful supper with Helen - once I figured out where we were meeting. Two locations with the same name doesn't help a tourist! I don't think Helen figures I can read a map ;)

Also did a bunch of sites in Dublin. Guinness tour, Jameson tour, Christ Church, St Patricks Cathedral, Dublina exhibit (history of Dublin), Trinity college and book of Kells, natural history museum, and the hop on off your. Also wandered a lot, talked to people (a server who is moving to Regina??, many people who knew about camp 101, and a random guy who promised the world if he came back with me... ya, nope. Shudder).

Went up to Skerries on Wednesday and had tea with Helen at the mills (really wished I was smart enough to use my camera for that!) And then Bruce Springsteen. It was a great show - doors opened at 5, was there just before and there was already a long queue. Got into the pit, wristband to prove it. Stood from 4:30 until 11 when the concert ended. Bruce didn't stop - no set changes, he was always on stage. Great performer and engaging.

Didn't have too many problems with being squished like a can of sardines, and "accidentally" elbowed the jackass who tried to pick my wallet (my hand was on it the whole time). He did swipe my ticket though I think - but I was already in and they were only looking at wristbands. Wished I had it for a souvenir but I have pics instead.

And now, here I am, sitting in Toronto, heading back to Calgary. Sigh. My favourite part of the trip? Camp. Hands down. Must be a girl guide thing. Loved the travelling for sure, but liked connecting with like minded people a bit more.

Many trips I'm glad to come back - some element of homesickness sets in. Not this time. Between the camp and meeting so many people, to seeing friends and other guides throughout, I never felt alone, or felt sad to not have someone there...

I am sad to go - really want to stay - but is that because I love the place and the Guides, or the fact I have to read Macbeth this week to start prepping for September? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment