Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Camp 101 finished!

So, I didn't have Internet access readily through the camp but I journaled a bit. This is a combination of all of those. Sorry of there is repetition :)



Arrival
It's been a huge blur so far. The travelling went fine - no problems, my luggage and I ended up at the same place at the same time.
Ireland is beautiful. Got to see a lot f it on the bus - which, apparently I took the longest possible route to get to Boyle from Dublin. Thanks website planner. But the drivers were extremely helpful and friendly. Mainly, my online reciept didn't work the way it should, but they still allowed it!
The bus I took to Boyle had one of the American troops also going to camp. They welcomed me immediately and we went on an adventure walking through more of Boyle than we needed to... and to the scout hall. I saw Monica from Denmark - I LOVE how even though over a year has passed we kept talking as if we were just at sangam. They were there for the precamp challenge that I pulled out of, but took me to Lough Key Forest and Activity Park to help set up. Then saw Jemma too - hugs and then catching up. And there are girls from sangam here too - it has been a reunion of sorts.
This place is gorgeous. I can't help but feel I'm in a fairy tale... the woods have trees covered in ivy, and big sitting/climbing trees - one I'm tenting under! The town of Boyle have been great - they have a TON of advertising and deals for us. Store displays with camp stuff, the logo on billboards, huge banners across the streets - its unreal. We would never get that coverage in Canada I'm sure.
And everyone is friendly. It's like the girl guide way automatically makes you sisters... I haven't felt like an outsider and I already feel I've made friends - and camp officially starts Wednesday :). And what I love the best is the stuff I felt the most self conscious over. I emailed in May about my health, offering to withdraw. They have put me to work, BUT checked in on me, made sure I'm okay and don't point it out. They've even offered that if I need to, I can stay at a b&b in Boyle for the night. I can't believe it, they're more accommodating than I ever expected, and without complaint or that I'm a nuisance.
Learning new terms and things along the way. The Irish don't always use ground sheets for bedrolls- they have a bivvy bag or survival bag. Basically a ground sheet bag with survival tips on it. Trangias are like buddy burners or the small fuel burners that heat up and you literally set a pot on. Main thing is I understand them and they understand me! ;)
The only downside has been rain. Apparently this has been an overly wet summer for them. Huh, sounds familiar. We've only had maybe 12 hours of non rain, where it's been so humid you can SEE the evaporation. Yes, I have pictures.
More people come tomorrow to set up- 17 of us the first night (not counting the precampers), 40 tonight, but possible over 200 tomorrow. Then the onslaught of the other 1000+ on wednesday. Here goes nothing!
Oh, my math peeps would be proud: I used Pythagorean theorem to help figure out how much bunting to throw down the side of a tower. There is a KILOMETER of bunting that they need to display, and a tower 30 m high... and about 10 m away from the building. Bah math on vacation!

Tues before camp

Today was a lot of setting up and last minute details. Again, working with people that have been amazing friendly and wonderful. Not as much walking and physical work today... somewhat on purpose. I feel old trying to camp - my hips are sore and my neck is killer. However I did spend 6 hours making flags for an activity AKA hand sewing. No Mom, that is not an invitation for you to stop seeing my camp blanket for me - that's how desperate they were!
Few more Irish/cdn differences:
1. If there is tea and coffee available, the tea will be pre made and the coffee you make on your own. Oops :)
2. Chips/ the flavours! We had small snack bags at lunch cheddar and onion, salt and vinegar, but the oddest one for me - prawn cocktail! Seriously. No didn't try them yet.
3. Laid back attitude. Time is adhered to but not strict. If you're late so what. The emphasis is on the person not the minor details. Things do fall into place and they let you take your initiative and get it done. Seriously I have not felt the stress from the organizers here that people feel at January conference. Wonder if I can embrace this for later on...

First day!

The big day... opening! We went from under 400 people on site to almost 1600. It looks soooooo different from the few tents and marquees on Sunday to the few more Monday and yesterday.
I helped with registration which actually went a lot smoother than I anticipated. Once groups went to their site and set up they came to the "dropbox" (yup, named after the file sharing site!) to give information and get tshirts etc. Also meant I got to meet a lot of people. Way too many to remember, but pretty sure I met all 100 other Canadians! (101 of us at camp 101. Still the first Canadian registered on site!)
I've seen people I met in Toronto, and another Sangam person. That makes 3 participants, one presenter, and he Sangam Rangers from a group of under 60.... the odds are way too much to think of. I love it :)
I also have been the runner for odd jobs. Example: helping Helen, one of the assistant chiefs,: create a master list of clothing orders and decide how much to order extra. For some reason they figure I'm a "brilliant" worker (yes Dad I know you're snorting), and I have been absorbed into the main people. It's probably due to the fact I've been here just as long as many of them. Humbling and fun at the same time!
Opening ceremonies were fabulous. We have the chairman of the wagggs board, but former chief commissioners as well as the current commissioner of Ireland all on site, as well as the mayor of the county, and the president of scouts Ireland. There was a live stream through their site, which was neat.
The only downside? We wrecked the marquee but good! There was a local band/ sensation (aka "attractive-to-teenagers" boys) that performed. The girls busted the floor by jumping to a cover song! As in broke the joints AND the metal runners underneath in several spots. Yet the staff cordoned off the areas and started a singsong, basically without missing a step. Very cool to witness. Also cool was the fact we have tech men on site that started repairing right away. Hmm, anyone else glad they wouldn't have to safe guide that incident?

Thurs

Anyone remember what I did for the last international camp I did (Discovery)? Anyone? Oh ya, ran the store... guess what I did today...
The camp tried to preorder clothing - zipped bunnyhugs (I said that to funny looks today from everyone but the Saskatchewan girls lol) and tshirts. They emailed their orders in a few weeks ago, the stuff came in Wednesday, leaders collect today. Easy, right?
Not when the email crashed as the orders came in. Helen was told by it that all the "missing" emails when the server crashed had come in. But no.
It was my job last night to ensure we had enough inventory from the orders received. I was the double check basically and it looked fine. Then because I helped before I became one of the organizers to get the shirts out. We had sizes laid out and expected the leaders to come in, have us check their names and grab their orders. It turned chaotic!! Or, as the Irish say, complete bedlam ;)
Leaders were upset and yelling, grabbing even if their names weren't on the list - so our inventory was out. Big time. We actually closed up, reevaluated and took several hours to figure out.
A group of wonderful leaders were loud enough and assertive enough to help us out then figured out a system to reorder. We have over 60 orders that were evaporated and will get before the end of camp.
Thankfully this wasn't my first impression of Ireland guiding... it was disconcerting. NOT that I'm saying this was an Irish thing - way too much Canadian retail experience to know that's wrong on so many levels. But to treat other volunteers like that is sad. But we were all tired, so move on.
It's midnight now and we finished up just a few minutes ago. Can't say I am not working hard! Still meeting a ton of people and staying with a few more often. Not tons of interactions with girls directly but I have talked with a lot of senior branches (pathfinder/ranger combined).
Sooo tired but still tossing and turning. Part of it is adjusting to tenting again I think, without a really big foam (more insulation than anything). But I've kept my tent dry Audrey!!! I know you'll be proud ;)

Friday

Today wasn't so crazy... but still long. We got Internet in the information marquee! (there is Internet in the main core office but now I can sneak on briefly if it's quiet).
I got to take some breaks today... mainly because I was told to go see some stuff :) saw some traditional Irish dancing... the type that is a little more casual? I didn't write or take a picture of the name, but it was great. Then we had a huge dance party. Didn't participate but watched.
My body really doesn't like camp. I am living off Advil. I am tired but lying down is almost worse. The foams don't cut it so I'm turning every few hours. But the tent is dry - hoping it stays that way tonight when there are supposed to be massive rains. Yay...
Finally started to swap a bit today. Some Canadians have gone full crazy with it... literally having people swarm at them! It is insanity. I have badges from old Saskatoon areas I bought with a donation before sangam that I have. It isn't about the crests back exactly. Don't get me wrong, I love badges. But I don't always follow the 'rules'... I don't do a badge for a badge, it's something for something (or if they don't have for whatever reason they can take it). It's the talking to people. Some people get it, some don't. I don't make a point of starting a swap but I'll definitely bring out the badges if someone asks.
It's been funny to hear the management people talk and vent. Then they apologize, hoping that I won't think poorly of the camp. Isn't most of event management about people needing to vent? And it isn't like I don't vent about stuff... thinking of most of my prep periods this year. I love what I do, but there is crap too!
Tomorrow we have a bunch of brownies here participating in their own activities on site.
I'm tired, and am hoping to get up early enough to snag a shower in the morning... we shall see how much stretching I'll have to do first! And rain, stay away. I'd rather have the wind howling through the trees instead, thanks.

Saturday
It's hard to believe a week ago I was coming over here. It has seemed like so much longer and yesterday at once! Long in the sense that I feel comfortable here in my surroundings (which I realize will be quite different when I head to Galway on Wednesday) but short in that so much has flown by.
I had six straight hours of sleep last night! Must've found the right spot because I'm not all that sore. Of course this is nowhere near the 10-12 hours of normal, but I'm resting. I'm waiting for the hard crash to come... pessimistic I know but a real possibility. I have my trusty friend Advil by my side.
Today was a lower key day. Lots of questions and a few crises but it didn't seem that bad to me. I was told to take the evening off and enjoy the camp stuff. Helen is convinced I have been working too hard and I am a visitor (I said no, I was here to work and enjoy it, which didn't fly all that much).
Saw some of the girls, swapped a bit (again, not like some of the others! Holy crafts batman! Kinda glad I didn't really spend too much time on the geckos I never brought) and talked with lots of different people. The sunset was pretty tonight; I'm still partial to my prairie sunsets, but there was some nice colors tonight.
Only thing I'm not fond of here? It's about a mile walk from where I sleep to everything. The showers and sinks are a few hundred meters away, but the center where we eat is at least a km, some say a mile. Thankfully my base is right were we eat so I don't have to walk a lot. And Rose and Helen make sure I'm not the ones making the treks to all the campsites with info.
Tomorrow proves to be a gongshow. There are over 1600 people visiting tomorrow! So probably over 3000 people on site. Working in the information marquee... I may end up crashing during then! The ladybirds and brownies were busy enough, between the tasks we needed to do with all the questions... I guess all I can do is wait.

Sunday

It's been a crazy day today! Visitors day... about 3500 people here, visiting children, going through venues and stopping in the info booth. In all honesty, it looked really good and lots of smiling faces. Quite a few guides decided to go home with their parents which is unfortunate but whatever.
There were some local venues there from their farmer's market in the nearby town. I picked up lunch because I forgot to pack my lunch... paella with a guiness brownie. Delicious - and the brownie wasn't too sweet. Hmm, recipe testing?
And had guides own beforehand. Holy emotional crying! It was gorgeous, and I was a part of it (part of a reading) but it was all thought provoking. Many crying leaders and girls! The reading I did was with a girl from the uk and about how we're all sisters. It was something that very much rang true for me. Too bad it was broadcast live at 2am prairie time. It was definitely inspiring.
And the Irish girl guide camp have another few distinct differences:
1. People can bring families. Many of the husbands are security or maintenance, and there's a daycare for the younger children
2. Leaders social after 10:30. Those not in supervisory roles and of age. Not saying it is good or bad - I loved sitting and chatting with others! And really GGC does it at adults only events. Just another difference, that's all!
3. Their tents! They have bedrooms and living spaces where you can sit and talk in between rooms. They look like a long tube. Some have floors, some don't. And all stand-up able. The 2man I'm sleeping in is normal to me, but the bigger ones don't. They're very cool!

Monday

Today didn't seem as stressful for me, but I know it was stressful for management people (yay being just a lackey!). Nothing catastrophic or anything, just stuff that's bound to happen with large groups.
Hard to believe camps officially closing tomorrow and I leave the day after next. The time with people is flying by!
Wonderful stuff? Tide pops! I will definitely use those every time I travel. Easy to use and no powder or measuring. Yup it was laundry day.
Talent show was tonight. Didn't see all of it, but some. The India girls from Sangam did a fantastic job of dancing - they got a standing ovation twice (they won)! And there was a leader interlude with some Canadians. I have pictures!

Camp closing

Wow the time went fast. The last day of camp was a bit crazy as people started to take things down as they could. For the girls it was a normal program day so that was good.
The closing ceremonies were awesome to say the least. The coordinator for it apparently always does an amazing job and it showed. It was streamed live too, like the opening and the concerts, so someone may have seen it.
There was a group called the heathers that played as well. It was a female duo that play with just a guitar and vocals. I enjoyed it, because they had interesting harmonies that worked.
Campfire was huge - try to get 1500 people in front of one fire. They tried a loud speaker but I don't know how successful that was. Everyone was pumped though which is what matters.
Then we ended with fireworks on the lake. Yup, fireworks. The girls were so excited! Don't know how my pics turned out, but we shall see.
This morning was starting to take everything apart. It always amazes me how much effort and time it takes to set things up and how quickly you can strike it. By the time Helen dropped me off to the bus, most of the marquees were gone, and only patches of weathered grass where the tents had been.
I had fun! Even if it was admin work, I saw lots of people and lots of different interactions. Thanks Ireland for the hospitality! Hopefully that extends to Galway :) (where, by the way, a bunch of us will end up... wonder if the party should continue...)

You're still reading? You deserve a medal :)

No comments:

Post a Comment