Friday, July 13, 2012

Trip Part 2: Galway

So, even though I'm technically here for another two days, I really am done most of what I can in Galway. Tomorrow I'm going on a tour to the cliffs of moher (aka the cliffs of insanity!!) and then I leave on the train to Dublin in the early afternoon on Sunday.

It's not that I haven't seen anything though... and I'm sorry, but not many pics on the iPhone - you'll have to wait until I'm in Airdrie house sitting! I'm kinda doing this more to have a way of sorting the photos :)



The first night I got here I slept. I saw the other Saskatoon unit (they were in the same hostel) and literally fell asleep while talking to my roommates. They were from Australia and have been backpacking for three months. They headed to Switzerland this morning. Today a huge group of German students came in - totally don't remember any German from high school... sorry Frau Pollman!

So, my first full day here I spent wandering. Took the hop-on, hop-off bus to get some bearings and went exploring. I went down to the bay, found the original claddagh store (or so they claim), went to the museum, walked into Claddagh itself (yes it's a village - or used to be. Maybe didn't pay enough attention on the bus haha). Galway is technically smaller than Saskabush but so much more history. I mean, who could spend two days walking downtown Saskatoon and find new things to do?

Then I was going to have plans with someone from camp but that fell through, so I walked through the "mall" (it's more of a massive complex) near the hostel.

Today I went to cathedral, the church (why is it that I have to be in Europe to go to church? Paris, London, Blantyre/Glasgow and Edinburgh, now here. Hmmm) In any case, there were beautiful. Hoping to work some HDR into those photos later - already did the bracketing.

Also did the river walk. It's gorgeous, but technically I think the riverbank at home wins. Our bridges don't though. These guys have a lot as well!

Spent time sitting in Eyre Square enjoying some sunshine! Ya, I know Saskatchewan has had a heat wave since I left (don't waste it all while I'm gone btw), but it's cloudy here. That's not a bad thing, just that it's sunny right now and I intend to enjoy it.

There are a lot of street performers on shop street (yes it's called that) and other touristy shop areas. I tipped the medieval singers. They had people sitting and listening to pretty accurate medieval music - not an easy feat I'm sure. Actually it kind of reminds me of the street performers at the fringe... even the pre-fringe performers I saw in Edinburgh.

I had been thinking of doing a pub tour, but I'm still so tired that i probably won't - and not in Dublin either. Kind of disappointing, but I came here to see things, not just pubs. I'm just finding the 8ish hours I've attempted really haven't cut it :(

And I want some semblance of health in Canada. This cold has settled nicely and I've been coughing like a chain smoker. I don't feel worse for it, just using a lot of halls soothers (way better here than the refreshers in Canada. May have to pick up a bunch as I head out).

And it's happening again... I MAY have looked up if I could teach here - Ireland in general. Still finding everyone friendly and welcoming, and if this weather was consistent, it beats our snow hands down. Not that it amounts to anything (I'm still looking in Scotland too lol) but felt compelled... and it's not like there's no girl guides here!

Think I'm just going to rest tonight. The tour is only eight hours tomorrow, but I think it will be a full one.

No comments:

Post a Comment