Saturday, July 28, 2012

More than me... I am one in 10 million!

This has been in my drafts folder for a while, but the release of a video from WAGGGS, as well as conversations with friends, I just feel the need to post what Girl Guides has done for me (no, this isn't a "recruiting" post. Besides, if you know me at all, you know Girl Guides is part of my life.)

I was 7 when I joined Brownies. Why? Mom wanted me to - she had been in Guiding, and figured I would benefit. I would've joined at age 6, but it conflicted with piano lessons ;)

Sis and I (Spark and Brownies)
All of the leaders in my units knew how to push just a bit to let us grow without forcing it or making it uncomfortable.  I was also lucky enough to have a friend, Tannis, with me the entire journey - we went through all of the branches together! (Brownies, Guides, Pathfinders, Senior Branches/Rangers). If there was a year one of us didn't quite enjoy it, the other would help us stick out the year. And by fall, we were ready again. (And we're both still involved :D)

There are people who may or may not believe this, but I'm a painfully shy person. I had a principal in Grade 8 quite concerned when I didn't speak in class when she was in (she was new, and I never had occasion or reason to talk to her). But, if you know me, you also know I can be hard to shut up. Ask Mom or Dad - I remember bribes to make me quiet for 30 min. But in big groups, I don't like initiating conversation, or being the centre of attention. That has changed through Guiding. Being comfortable in my unit allowed me to try new things. Seeing other members in uniform always made me feel a little more comfortable. From around the age of 11 on, I realized that anyone in the stripes (twitch, oh the stripes) meant we already had a few things in common.
Years later, we're all still involved!

I learned much more about the world through Girl Guides than I ever did in school. Even the simplicity of Thinking Day, and WAGGGS. Not to mention about girls in other countries. Even when I was in high school, going on the France exchange, I knew more about Girl Guides in France than my French exchange partner! Now, I have learned about MDGs, the UN, and how WAGGGS (in turn GGC) were actually helping improve world problems.

I believe my teaching style came from Girl Guides. From the beginning, I was a unit helper (Mom was never my leader, always my sister's). I wasn't allowed to just be another girl - I had to help. When I was a Pathfinder, I was always responsible for singing and the arts stuff with the Guides. Senior Branches (Rangers) - I was leading entire meetings, and very much treated like an adult in the group. It was an easy transition when I did start leading that group the next year. It also helped that the adults in my guiding life treated me as an equal before I became an adult. There are only a few situations where I felt that my experience didn't matter (not with the people that knew me), and I was "too young."

Being encouraged to be an adult trainer helped me: Guiding, personally and professionally. Guiding - I have a better understanding of policies (as well as my real interest in Guiding, WAGGGS/GGC interaction), and meet new leaders. Personally, it's helped overcome more of that shyness, and a good way to help my career of teaching. Many new teachers are hesitant about running a class - I had already been training for three years and leading for five by the time I started subbing.
The only photo from
grade 12 grad Dad liked.

Guiding got me into university! To teach music in Saskatchewan, you get two degrees together - you get a music degree and your education degree. The only way to get into university is through an audition and an interview. I had no piano teacher (she dropped me because she didn't want senior students), so I self-taught my audition. I wasn't good - I have never been a comfortable performer. I didn't play well; by the time I finished playing, I figured I'd get the brush-off. The interview went okay, but ended abruptly when I answered that my experience with children was Girl Guides. Half an hour later, I got my acceptance email.

Guiding also gave me my first part time job, and probably the only part time job that I enjoyed. I was the store girl on Saturdays, then the store manager, then back to the store girl when area took over, and the fill-in person as we closed the store.

Someone at camp said that Guiding has done so much for her that she has to give back. I completely understand and agree - except every time I give back, I gain so much more! I have led girls in Guide and Pathfinder units; I gained friends and a perspective from girls that age that I use in teaching. I've done adviser stuff, both at the area and provincial levels. I gained a strong support network, that when my health started to suck, they let me bow out (I don't know what I would have done without them - training is in much better hands). I've been on district, area and provincial councils, only to gain perspective, understanding and experience. How do you give back? I can't - keep end up getting much more than I give. I'm not talking about the awards... I appreciate the recognition, but the referral letters are what I treasure most.

I've been able to explore the world through Guiding - Saskatchewan international camps meeting people, going to Toronto for conferences, and being alternates for Mexico, Peru, Kenya... finally getting selected to go to Switzerland, then ACTUALLY getting to go to India! That was life changing. My other trips have also had Guiding connections - started the UK tour with a stay at Pax Lodge, and Ireland was had Camp 101.

India!
Most of the people that I feel know me best are Girl Guides. Some I've known all years I've been involved, some from events. These are the people you start talking with and feel like you've known each other forever. Not to say I don't have non-Guiding friends whom I love and adore, but Guiding means you already have a connection.

My students, in any contract I've had, know I'm a Girl Guide. I use a GG mug at work. I was able to teach my Life Trans class about the MDGs this year, and they didn't believe all the stuff I was teaching them I learned through WAGGGS. I mention the sitar and how I heard it in India in Guitar. My songs I teach in elementary music are ALL Girl Guide songs (one of the curriculum books has songs that are credited to GG). My photography students critiqued my India photos while I was still at the conference.

Where would I be without Guiding? I have absolutely no idea! It's such an integral part of my life I can't separate it. Would I teach high school or would I be behind a desk? Would I have been confident enough to start photography? Would I travel? There is NOTHING that Guiding hasn't touched - my family has been involved; my career; my confidence talking to people and presenting ideas; my friends.

So, you think we just sell cookies?

No comments:

Post a Comment